Saturday, June 17, 2006

Mass. school punishes students with electric shocks

"They can be shocked for behaviors including ’failure to maintain a neat appearance’, ‘stopping work for more than 10 seconds’, ‘interrupting others’, ‘nagging’, ‘whispering and/or moving conversation away from staff’, ‘slouch in chair’ ''
I've heard of this place before, of them using techniques to treat disorders including Asburgers Syndrome, or Autism, and I was disgusted when I read this on wikipedia. I personaly am AS, and I'm even more disgusted by what they are doing to help them, including shock therapy, and threating them with various things. Now with public, and viral networking, they will finally be attacked for the things that they have done, because people with Autism and Aspergers syndrome are still human, and should be treated as such, not to be tortured.

read more | digg story

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Complete agreement...yeah, I know, not the most helpful thing to say. :-p I'm autistic as well -- just joined Digg specifically because of that story (so I could mark up/down the comments) as another spectrum friend, Codeman38 (at Digg), mentioned it in the "Asperger" comm at LiveJournal...

Though she didn't tell me to say this (wouldn't be like her) -- an autistic friend of ours that has *been* at places like JRC and shares our viewpoint just joined and is commenting in the story now, but getting slammed by some jerk...so if you could wander over and give the thumbs-up/thumbs-down, I'd at least appreciate it. (I'm generally too shy to comment, unfortunately.) She's Ballastexistenz here on Blogger, though http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org is her current active blog -- I think you'd like it, based on your comments and post. :)

Sorry this is so long... I tend to be rather disorganized when tired/stressed.

Unknown said...

Oops -- the commenting autistic's name on Digg is Anhaga... Like I said, I'm not "all here" right now. :-p